Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Truth About Spiderman

Disclaimer: This post has little to nothing to do with Spiderman.

Last night, I slept hard and had some of the most lucid dreams since my time in Thailand began. One such dream ended with a swarm of scorpions closing in on me, at which time I awoke to a painful jab in my knee. Needless to say, I was a tad freaked, think I uttered something unfit for display on this blog and saw a spider slip away faster than I could register my deep desire to end its life. I let myself drift back to sleep only to find my entire knee reddened except for a 2 centimeter hard white lump with what I can only describe as fang marks.

I'm not a fan of spiders but I'm not a fan of killing things, either, so I tried to let it slide, got ready for the day and headed to the kitchen for my morning cup of 3-in-1. I told my host about it and she insisted it must have been an ant until she saw the spot and immediately jumped into action. No, let's be honest, I wasn't really concerned until I saw how quickly she responded. 

What did she do? She hurried to the lime tree, knocked a lime off, sliced off the end and rubbed it on my knee. Her son came in to see what was going on and she told him I was becoming Spiderman. I laughed and threw my imaginary web in his direction. His older sister came in and we continued to play "farang becomes superhero" until my knee stung and my host squeezed ever so gingerly on the bite and finished up her first-aid with a Thai ointment that smelled like mint and feels like heaven.

I walked to school and my fellow teachers responded with similar alarm but were very pleased to hear about Pii Pigoon's reaction and the swelling is down so much it looks hardly more bothersome than a mosquito bite. Crisis averted.

I'm sorry I'm not the real Spiderman, but I'm happy to have this story of fear turning to fun.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment