Monday, April 8, 2013

Thai Table

One of my favorite things about my new home? 
I get to cook!

Okay, it's time for all you crazy folks stateside to come clean. Easter was a week ago and you still have some hard boiled eggs hiding in your fridge. Best not to deny it. I understand, there are only so many egg-salad sandwiches a person can eat in a week, and who really likes to eat more than one, if any whole, no matter how much salt or pepper you sprinkle on it?

Well, all of my Thai cooking classes in my new home have given me a brilliant and delicious solution for you! It's one of my favorite dishes that I've made thus far (nothing can beat the green curry) and, best of all, it'll put your "little secrets" to good use before they go bad! Introducing...

Kai Look Kuey
(aka Son-in-law Eggs)

Ingredients:
6 hard boiled eggs (or as many as you have)
1-1 1/2 c vegetable oil
3-4 shallots (thinly sliced)
5-10 dried red peppers (depending on your heat tolerance)
1 T soy sauce
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1/4 c crushed peanuts
1 c tamarind juice (I made my own and will explain how to do so if you can find fresh tamarind, but if you can't find any, try any sort of sour-sweet juice for a similar effect)

Here's how the magic happens:
1. Fry sliced shallots in hot oil until golden brown. Carefully remove from oil and drain.
2. Use same oil to fry hard boiled eggs until golden brown on all sides (Stand back and use a long spoon to turn as they like to crackle and pop!) Carefully remove from oil and let cool to the touch.
3. Use same oil to flash fry red peppers until they darken slightly and remove to cool with shallots.
4. Immerse 2 inches of fresh tamarind into 1 cup of water and knead until the water is browned and seeds are removed.
5. In a wok or cleaned skillet heat the tamarind water with sugar, salt, and soy sauce to taste (we're aiming for a sweet and sour type flavor) and reduce until slightly syrupy, then add peanuts and remove from heat.
6. Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and lay on a platter, yolks facing upward. Sprinkle with fried peppers and shallots, then drizzle with tamarind sauce.

As with nearly all Thai dishes, this is customarily served with rice, but you can eat it however you please. I hope you enjoy and put those eggs to good use!

Aroi mak!
(Delicious)

No comments:

Post a Comment